Wrap up your steak and veggie keto burrito in hearty collard greens and dip it in a creamy chipotle sauce for a fat-burning lunch!
If you’re looking for a low-carb meal you can make in less than 20 minutes, this recipe is for you.
This keto burrito boasts plenty of nourishing nutrients to keep you fed and fit. Plus, it comes with customizable fillings you can sub in for more variety!
Replace Grains with Greens
This light and simple keto burrito recipe use hearty collard greens to wrap all your favorite fillings. It’s the perfect gluten-free alternative to tortillas and packs in plenty of gut-nourishing antioxidants.
Layering two leaves together creates a circular shape, large enough to hold all the fillings. To make them flexible enough for wrapping, you’ll need to slice off the stems and boil them for a few minutes to tenderize the leaves.
Customize Your Fillings
When it comes to stuffing up your keto burrito, the options are endless! We chose thinly sliced steak for our protein, but you can also go with chicken or ground beef to switch things up.
As for the veggies, we suggest going with a rainbow of different options like bell peppers, onions, and tomatoes. You can also experiment with julienned carrots and cucumbers for an Asian-style wrap, or go with bacon and eggs for a healthy breakfast burrito.
To keep the Mexican theme going, we added fresh guacamole to complement the pico-style veggies and fresh cilantro. This healthy addition is not only rich in brain-boosting fats, but it also replaces sour cream with a smooth dairy-free consistency.
Get Saucy with Creamy Chipotle
This keto burrito’s indulgent dipping sauce combines smoky chipotle powder with zesty lime juice in a creamy mayo base. Chipotle powder is made up of smoked ground jalapeños, adding a kick of heat and earthy flavor. If you aren’t into the heat, try using half a teaspoon of chili powder instead.
Be sure to find a keto-friendly mayo containing zero refined sugars. If you’re up for whipping up your own mayo, try this healthy apple cider vinegar version.
Helpful Tips To Get Started:
- How to shop for wrappable collard greens. Look for large leaves that don’t have any tears or holes. This will help keep everything tucked neatly inside.
- Wrap these burritos like a pro. You’ll want to layer your fillings in the center of the leaves, leaving room on the bottom and sides for rolling.
- Enjoy them while they’re fresh. The veggies in these burritos tend to wilt after a short while, so you’ll want to enjoy them right away.
Steak and Veggie Keto Burrito
- 2 Small mixing bowls
- 1 Medium pot
- 1 Large pot
- 1 Medium cast iron skillet
For the Sauce:
- ¼ cup keto-friendly mayonnaise
- 1 T lime juice
- ½ t chipotle powder
For the Burritos:
- 6 cups filtered water
- 4 medium collard green leaves, stalks trimmed
- 4 oz sirloin steak, thinly sliced
- ¼ t sea salt
- 1 t avocado oil
- ⅓ cup julienned bell pepper
- ⅓ cup chopped tomato
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ¼ cup guacamole
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- To Make the Sauce: Stir together all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- To Make the Burritos: Bring the water to a boil in a medium pot and add the collard green leaves. Cook for 4 minutes, then drain and set aside on a cutting board.
- Toss the sliced steak with sea salt in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a medium skillet, heat the avocado oil over medium-high heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the steak and sear for 4 minutes, stirring once. Turn the heat off and let it sit for 5 minutes in the pan.
- Overlap 2 collard green leaves to create 1 large tortilla. Line the steak, veggies, guacamole, and cilantro onto the collard green leaves. Fold in the sides and tightly roll to create a burrito. Repeat with the remaining leaves.