Photo by Farideh Sadeghin
for the dip:
1 cup | 135 grams of raw cashews
2 teaspoons of grated garlic
1 tablespoon of crispy chili
1 bunch of cilantro, stems only (leaves reserved for another day)
1 bunch of dill, stems only (fronds reserved for another day)
kosher salt, to taste
apple cider vinegar, to taste
granulated sugar, to taste
for the wings:
1 book | 450 grams of chicken wings
1 teaspoon of kosher salt
¾ teaspoon granulated sugar, and more to taste
¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
vegetable oil, as needed
2 teaspoons to 2 tablespoons powdered white vinegar
fish sauce, to taste
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 shallot, minced
- Make the dip: Cover the raw cashews with boiling water in a medium heatproof bowl and let stand for 5 minutes, then strain. Combine the cashews with ¾ cup | 177 ml of hot water, garlic, crispy chili, and cilantro and dill sprigs in the bowl of a blender. Puree to a smooth and creamy purée, adding more water if necessary. Season with salt, vinegar and sugar to taste. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Fire up a grill. Wipe the chicken wings with paper towels.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken wings with the salt, ½ teaspoon of the sugar and the pepper.
- Brush the wings all over with oil.
- Working in batches, grill the chicken wings, skin side down. Cover and cook until crispy grill marks appear, about 10 minutes. Flip the wings, cover and continue to grill until a thermometer inserted in the thickest part reads 170 ° F, about 5 to 10 minutes more.
- Remove the wings and immediately mix with the remaining ¼ teaspoon of sugar, white vinegar powder, fish sauce, garlic and green onion. Serve immediately with the dipping sauce.
Get recipes like this and more in the Munchies Recipes newsletter. Register now here.