Ditch the tortillas and bake up these gluten-free keto breakfast tacos!
Who needs a taco shell when you can have bacon holding together all your keto breakfast favorites? Use it to weave together a crunchy taco shape that you can fill up with eggs, avocado, pico de gallo, and more!
How To Make A Bacon Taco Shell
The key to making a durable tortilla replacement is to look for bacon with a moderate amount of fat. Bacon that is too lean (like turkey bacon) will result in a thinner “tortilla” that might crack when folded. It’s best to opt for thick-cut pork strips to make it sturdy enough to hold all the fillings.
When weaving the bacon, you’ll want to keep the slices as close together as possible. Start by laying down four slices of bacon side-by-side. Fold up the bottom half of every other strip. Lay one strip of bacon perpendicular to those strips, flush up against the back of the folds. Unfold the bacon strips back down over the perpendicular strip of bacon. Repeat with the remaining 3 strips of bacon, alternating the strips that are flipped to create a weave pattern. Keep your weave snug, since the bacon tends to shrink and shift during the baking process.
To shape the taco shells after the baking process, you’ll need to use a makeshift cooling rack. We balance a butter knife between two cans and fold the bacon weave over the knife. Let it cool for about five minutes, so that it can crisp into place.
Customize It Your Way
The filling possibilities are endless when it comes to these breakfast tacos. To keep it keto-friendly, we pack it with ingredients that are high in protein, fiber, and healthy fats.
You can also add guacamole instead of avocado slices, or sub in fresh salsa in place of the pico. Chopped cilantro, sautéed mushrooms, and fresh spinach also make great additions.
Helpful Tips To Get Started:
- Enjoy these breakfast tacos right away. For the best flavor and texture, you’ll want to serve them as soon as they’re done.
- Make more for larger crowds. These tacos are on the small side (think street tacos), so double up the recipe for hungry appetites.
- Use a baking sheet with raised edges. This will catch the bacon grease and prevent it from spilling over.
- Use the bacon shells for lunch or dinner. Is breakfast time over? Stuff them with chicken or steak.
Keto Breakfast Tacos in a Bacon ‘Tortilla’ Shell
- Large baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Small cast iron pan
- 8 strips of pasture-raised bacon, sliced in half
- 1 t ghee
- 3 large pasture-raised eggs
- 1 T full-fat coconut milk
- 2 t chopped chives
- ½ of an avocado, sliced
- ¼ cup pico de gallo
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To Make the Bacon Weave: Lay four slices of bacon side-by-side. Fold up the bottom half of every other strip. Lay one strip of bacon perpendicular to those strips, flush up against the back of the folds. Unfold the bacon strips back down over the perpendicular strip of bacon. Repeat with 3 more strips of bacon, alternating the strips that are flipped to create a weave pattern. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Allow the bacon weaves to cool for 2 minutes, then remove them from the oven.
- Use kitchen scissors to trim the weaves into circular shapes. Then, make your own cooling rack by balancing a knife between 2 cans. Gently fold the bacon over the rack and allow them to crisp here for 5 minutes.
- Heat the ghee in a small cast iron skillet over medium heat. Whisk together the eggs, coconut milk, and chives. Pour the mixture into the hot pan and cook for 8 minutes, using a spatula to scramble the eggs.
- Divide the eggs between the 2 bacon shells and top with sliced avocado and pico de gallo. Enjoy right away.