These refreshing jelly slices are antioxidant-rich and sweetened with only raw honey for a guilt-free dessert!
Jelly slice is a popular dessert native to Australia and New Zealand. It’s known for its triple layers consisting of a biscuit crumb layer, a creamy center layer, and a jelly third layer made with fruit. This Paleo-friendly version uses no processed ingredients, making it a dessert the whole family will love.
The crust layer is made using blanched almond flour, coconut oil, and raw honey. The mixture creates a shortbread-style crust that bakes up golden brown around the edges. Cashew or macadamia nut flours can also be used.
The cream layer is made of coconut cream, vanilla extract, honey, and grass-fed gelatin to set the layer. Grass-fed gelatin also adds a hefty dose of hair-, skin-, and nail-boosting collagen. If you can’t find coconut cream, use the thick portion from full-fat canned coconut milk.
Once the coconut cream layer is firm, the turmeric citrus layer can be added. Notes of lemon and orange are in this fruity layer with a subtle earthy hint of turmeric. A pinch of black pepper is added to increase the absorption of turmeric.
Raspberry Jelly Layer
Use other fruit, like fresh raspberries, to create different flavors of jelly slice to suit your preferences
To make the raspberry jelly slice, follow steps 1 and 2 and then heat the raspberries, water, and honey in a medium saucepan until steaming hot, about 8 minutes. Use a fork to mash the raspberries. Remove them from the heat and cool for 3 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a food processor and blend until smooth, about 10 seconds. With the food processor still running, gradually add the gelatin through the spout until thoroughly mixed.
Pour the raspberry mixture through a mesh strainer into a clean bowl to remove any seeds. Cool the mixture for 15 minutes. Pour over the cream layer and refrigerate until set, about 2 hours. Slice into bars and serve chilled.
- Be sure the coconut cream layer is firm and the turmeric citrus mixture has cooled to room temperature before pouring on top. Otherwise, it will melt the coconut layer on contact.
- Store the jelly slices in an airtight container in the refrigerator until you’re ready to enjoy them. They can get soft at room temperature or in humid climates.
Healthy Jelly Slice With Gut-Healing Gelatin
- 9-by-9-inch square baking pan
- Parchment paper
- Medium mixing bowl
For the Crust:
- 2½ cups blanched almond flour
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 T raw honey
For the Cream Filling:
- 1½ cups coconut cream
- 2 t grass-fed gelatin
- 1 T raw honey
- 1 t vanilla extract
For the Turmeric Citrus Jelly Layer:
- 2/3 cup fresh orange juice
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup raw honey
- 1 T grass-fed gelatin
- 1 t ground turmeric
- Pinch of black pepper
For the Raspberry Jelly Layer: (optional)
- 1½ cups fresh raspberries
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 T grass-fed gelatin
- 2 T raw honey
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF and line a square 9-by-9-inch baking pan with parchment paper overlapping the sides. Combine the ingredients for the crust layer in a medium mixing bowl. Stir until moistened. Press the mixture into the bottom of the pan and bake 10 minutes. Set the pan aside to cool while preparing the cream layer.
To Make the Cream Layer:
- heat ½ cup of coconut cream, honey, and vanilla extract over medium heat in a double boiler until just steaming, about 10 minutes. Gradually whisk in the gelatin until completely dissolved. Remove the bowl from the heat and stir in remaining coconut cream. Cool mixture for 10 minutes. Pour the cream layer over the crust and refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours.
Make the Jelly Layer
- by heating orange juice in double boiler over medium heat for 7 to 10 minutes or until the orange juice is hot. Whisk in the gelatin until dissolved. Remove the bowl from the heat and stir in the lemon juice, honey, turmeric, and black pepper. Cool the mixture for 20 minutes or until it reaches room temperature.
- Pour the jelly layer evenly over the cream layer and return to the refrigerator until the jelly layer is firm, 2 hours. Slice into bars. Enjoy chilled.