Chill out with these dark chocolate cherry pralines that set right in the freezer!
These no-bake Paleo treats are a cut above anything you’d find at the candy store. Loaded with summery fruit and heart-healthy antioxidants, they’re a great bite-sized treat to stop your next chocolate craving.
How To Make That Vibrant Pink Filling
The luscious center of these cherry pralines is made with a combination of freeze-dried raspberries, frozen cherries, coconut butter, and sweet raw honey. The end result is a beautifully bright color – no food coloring necessary!
To make the center nice and chewy, we also mix in a little desiccated coconut so that it firms up as it chills. If you can’t find desiccated coconut, you can swap in unsweetened shredded coconut instead.
Freezing the filling makes it easier to cut and prevents it from crumbling as you assemble the praline. Plus, keeping it at a nice cool temperature helps the chocolate shell harden quicker.
Creating The Dark Chocolate Shell
To create our silky-sweet shell, we melt together the raw cacao powder, cacao butter, honey, and coconut oil in a double boiler. This produces a semi-sweet chocolate sauce we use to coat the entire praline.
The great thing about raw cacao is that it’s rich in powerful antioxidants. We like using it to keep blood sugars in check, without sacrificing that chocolatey flavor.
For the best quality, look for cacao powder without any added sweeteners.
Helpful Tips To Get Started:
- Utilize any leftover filling. You can roll extras into bliss balls, or refreeze them for 10 minutes to make more filling.
- Keep leftovers handy. Refrigerate pralines for up to one week, or freeze in a glass dish for up to one month. Just let them thaw for 10 minutes at room temperature, and enjoy!
Dark Chocolate Cherry Pralines
- 8-by-8-inch square baking pan
- Parchment paper
- Double boiler
- 15-hole cylinder silicone mold
- 1½ round cookie cutter
For the Cherry-Raspberry Filling:
- ¼ cup freeze-dried raspberries
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut butter
- 3 T raw honey
- 2 cups unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1 cup pitted frozen cherries
- ¼ cup filtered water
For the Chocolate Shell:
- 1 cup cacao butter
- 1/3 cup raw cacao powder
- 1 T coconut oil
- 3 T raw honey or maple syrup
- Line a square baking pan with parchment paper, overlapping the sides.
To Make the Filling:
- Place the freeze-dried raspberries in a food processor and pulse until powdery, about 20 seconds.
- Add the coconut butter and honey, and continue pulsing for about 10 seconds to crumble.
- Toss in the desiccated coconut, cherries, and water, then blend for 3 more minutes, scraping the sides as needed.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking pan, and firmly press it into an even layer. Freeze for 30 minutes.
To Make the Chocolate Shell:
- Melt the cacao butter and coconut oil in a double boiler over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cacao powder and honey, then turn off the heat. Set aside to slightly cool for 5 minutes.
- Place the silicone mold onto a tray that will fit in the freezer. Pour 1½ teaspoons of melted chocolate into each cavity of the mold. Transfer to the freezer for 10 minutes to set.
- Use the cookie cutter to cut out 15 rounds of cherry filling. Place 1 round on top of each chocolate layer and cover with 1½ teaspoons of melted chocolate. Gently tap the tray on a countertop to help the chocolate coat the cherry filling. Return it to the freezer to set for 30 minutes.
- Pop the chilled pralines out of the silicone molds and place them onto a tray lined with parchment paper. Drizzle with remaining chocolate and freeze for 10 more minutes. Serve and enjoy!